skip to main |
skip to sidebar
SWA #4
For my fourth writing assignment I chose to examine "Debate? Dissent? Discussion? Oh, Don't Go There" by Michiko Kakutani as my piece to examine. The text of this particular article was good but a little confusing at times for me. It may not seem confusing to someone else but for me I had to concentrate very hard just to stay on track to what Kakutani was talking about. Over all he did well with the text and how he organized it. I think that Kakutani had young reader such as college students in mind when he wrote this piece. Maybe even some college professors. Because he talks a lot about colleges and the students. I learned that he believes debate is important for students to understand how to debate properly and that debate is slowly disappearing. He also uses a lot of quotes from other professors to help get his point across. Im not sure that I can think of any constraints that could have influenced the author of this piece. The only constraints that influenced me as a reader are the things that were being talked about in this article. The title also helped me to want to read this article. I do share the fact that I do think debate is growing less important to the younger generation and they something needs to be done to stop this. I do find this argument convincing because he brings up a lot of good points and he knows what he is talking about.
You did a really nice job of describing the text and the particular audience the author was trying to reach. It was also good that you put in your opinion on how affective you felt the argument was.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your opinion that debate is lessening, but I think that has to do with our generations push to be more socially accepting. In today's world, I feel like if you try and debate something strongly then it turns into a racist debate and arguements on political correctness arise. I don't think there is a way to bring back debate until we can ease the hysteria on being politically correct.
ReplyDelete